Where do I find a weight Station?
The easier place to get your truck weighted is a truck stop. Most truck stops or the bigger moving companies have scales. You can also do a search of weight stations http://www.coopsareopen.com/ . I know we have one here on post.
Is a DITY move easier?
Depending on the move and what you have to move will determine if it's worth the DITY move. If it's a light move, I say go for it because it's easier and you can earn some spending money. I am a personal fan of DITY moves because one I can make money. Two, I know I am more careful with my personal belongings (I have some stories). Even with a large move, I would go for the DITY move. Remember though, I am partial to a DITY move.
Will update soon. I have been a little busy and havent been able to keep up with 2 blogs, school, and family life. I will be posting more probably after next week.
The DITY Program
Courtesy of DITY Move Guide
The DITY program (now called the Personally Procured Move Program) allows government employees who are authorized to ship household goods at government expense to arrange for the transportation of their own household goods. The employee is paid a percentage of what the government would have paid to arrange the shipping. The advantage for the employee occurs when they can move their goods cheaply, since the government will pay the same amount regardless of how much the employee spends on the move. It is possible, with careful planning, to make a nice profit.
The DITY process follows these basic steps:
- Contact your local TMO or JPPSO.
- Decide on the strategy for your DITY.
- Choose from the options available for a DITY move.
- Pack your belongings.*
- Load your belongings into the truck or trailer.*
- Travel to your new home.
- Unload your belongings.*
- File for Reimbursement from the government.
* - Asterisked items are optional if using an À La Carte moving service.
For more details, see the following links:
- Make the proper arrangements with the TMO or JPPSO before doing a DITY move. If you move your goods at personal expense without first arranging the paperwork with them, then you will NOT be reimbursed.
- When considering a DITY move, stop by your local TMO or JPPSO to get a quote of the reimbursement you will receive. This will vary depending on the rates that the moving companies are charging the government for that same move. You can also visit this online reimbursement calculator. Note that the rate paid by the government will be far below any you could get directly from the moving companies, even with a "military rate." Ask for several estimates with amounts both above and below your estimated weight. Remember that some of the amount you receive will be subject to tax.
- Weight limits still apply to DITY moves. You will only be reimbursed up to the amount of your authorized weight.
- The earlier you start this process the better off you will be. A rushed DITY move can have many things go wrong, not to mention being very unpleasant. You should be able to at least go talk with the TMO or JPPSO even if you've not yet received orders.
- Make sure you understand the different options available before deciding how you'll move your belongings.