Saturday, September 19, 2009

Forgiveness

I was on facebook and a quote got me to thinking. It was something like let the past be the past move forward. Something like that. I didn't write it down and I am too lazy to go back and look it up. Well anyway, This is not an attack towards the person that typed the quote but something that I have been thinking about lately.

For some people forgiveness is a very hard thing to practice. Some feel that if they are forgiving, they are forgiving someones ill behavior or feel that they are accepting the behavior. Forgiveness is a decision to let go of resentments and thoughts of revenge. Personally, Forgiveness is taking the power back that they have over you.

Personally, I have learned to forgive because its just me. I cant stay mad at anyone too long. Its a waste of time and energy . I have had some people that over step boundaries with me and I let that go. It took a lot of prayer but I let it go. Some people forget that forgiving doesnt go hand and hand with forgetting. I will remember what you did. Will I let it control my life? NO, I will not give anyone that much power in my life. Because I am able to move on doesn't mean I dont remember what someone did or said to me. The offender may not even realize the effects of that lay on people life's in what they did. The key is to not let that mess hinder you from being the best you are capable of being. We can forgive without excusing the act.

Now, my issue on forgiveness is moving on part. I am the type that forgiving doesn't mean reconciliation. If I forgive you, I wont be nasty, mean, ignore you or whatever. I have learned that when I forgive someone its not for anyone but myself. It like taking back the power that someone had over me. I will not become a victim. So is that really forgiving someone? Yes. Forgiveness brings a kind of peace that helps you go on with life. The offense is no longer front and center in your thoughts or feelings. To forgive doesn't mean to go back to the place you were but it means that you can move on with better knowledge and power over yourself.

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

Urban Homeschoolers Of Columbus said...

Good post. You know that is so true people think that forgiving means they are accepting or excusing someones behavior like they are doing the other person a favor. Forgiveness is for ourselves, even though it is hard to do. I am like that too, just because I forgive someone does not mean I will forget. I always remember.