Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Queen Helene Royal Curl Product review



Hey Curlies,
I received a few emails that my reviews are great but more details are requested. I will give it a try.

As stated last Thursday, I found QHRC in Target. All items were 7.99. They were stocked up on everything except the moisture rich shampoo.

I purchased everything that was available. Over the weekend I did my wash routine with these products minus the shampoo and here's my thoughts. 

Information Gathered from their website.

 I give these products 



And here's why....  

Below is information that is listed on their website.


*NEW! Royal Curl™
 "To powerfully remove frizz, define curls and smooth waves, let your hair feast on all-natural Royal Jelly, the nutrient packed super-food that feeds the Queen Bee in her hive. Packed with 17 amino acids plus vitamins A, B, C, D...to deliver luxurious shine and ultimate softness while defending hair from heat and humidity. 
 All natural: No harsh, irritating chemicals like alcohol, sulfates, petrolatum, parabens or phthalates.  Long live the queen!Locks in Moisture to Rehydrate, Detangle and Smooth Thirsty Hair"


2011-11-01_07-35-00_903.jpg
Sorry for blurry picture
I washed my hair with my regular shampoo and followed with the  QHRC Moisture Rich Conditioner

The first five ingredients are, Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Polyquaternium-7, Glycerin

I researched each of the five ingredients and gathered a lot of information from www.purist.com, www.herbarie.com, and www.ingredientstodiefor.com

What is Cetearyl Alcohol?

Cetearyl Alcohol is a mixture of naturally derived (Coconut and Palm Oils) fatty alcohols consisting predominantly of Cetyl and Stearyl Alcohol. Cetearyl Alcohol offers very efficient viscosity building in your creams, lotions, and other personal care products, including anhydrous formulations such as body polishes or oil blends. This fabulous ingredient can be utilized to modify rheology and viscosity in the creation of both O/W and W/O emulsions. In addition to enhanced viscosity, Cetearyl Alcohol also imparts its own emolliency in the formulation. When compared to Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alchol offers enhanced viscosity building effects as well as improved penetration of other ingredients. Cetearyl Alcohol has long been known as a “carrier” and “penetration enhancer”. This widely used fatty alcohol is often employed as the sole conditioning agent in crème rinse or hair conditioner formulations, as it adequately moisturizes and improves wet/dry combout.

What is BMsulfate?
 Behentrimonium methosulfate is the mildest hair-detangling ingredient available. Made from non-genetically modified rapeseed oil, this scientifically sophisticated ingredient is renowned for its superior detangling ability, without causing build-up on the hair. Unlike other hair detanglers, which are known for their irritancy, behentrimonium methosulfate is extremely mild, and is recommended for use in baby skincare products. It is superior in effectiveness and mildness to its commonly used cheaper cousin, behentrimonium chloride. It is not a sulfate.
What is Polyquaternium-7? 


Polyquaternium 7 is an excellent cationic conditioner for hair and skin. It is especially useful in surfactant based systems such as shampoo and shower gel and is perfect for use in spray on, leave in hair conditioners. Polyquaternium 7 is a very good detangler and provides slip for easier wet-combing. In addition it will add softness and shine to dry hair.
What is Glycerin?
Glycerin is a thick liquid that is colorless and sweet tasting. It has a high boiling point and freezes to a paste. Glycerin's most common use is in soap and other beauty products like lotions, though it is also used, in the form of nitroglycerin, to create dynamite.
This liquid is popular in beauty products because it is a humectant — it absorbs ambient water. This means that it can help seal in moisture.
The product has a perfume-y like fragrance. Not the most pleasant but its not too bad neither. The product was excellent for detangling. My hair had a lot of slip while detangling.

The instructions state to apply from root to tip and to work through hair. For loose curls to rinse the product out and for thick course hair to use as a leave-in. 

I rinsed this product out because I felt it was too thick to use as a leave in on MY hair. 

For the most part, this product is great. Thick as I like it and offered great detangling and conditioning properties. I will purchase again.

Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme:

2011-11-01_07-37-23_277.jpgAccording to the Queen Helene website, "We use the Queen Bee Royal Jelly in Curl Shaping Creme to naturally tame frizz, define curls and smooth waves with silky hold. Pure Aloe Vera Gel and Agave Nectar quench your hair's thirst without the grease, while powerful Green Tea antioxidants and intense moisturizers defend against damaging heat and humidity."

The first five ingredients: Glycerin, Pectin, Agave Rigida (sisal extract), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf and Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract

Please be advised this review is based on my hair and scalp!!

My hair does not like aloe as the first few ingredients in products. I carelessly overlooked this until the next day when I had an itchy scalp and my hair was very dry feeling. Which may be solely from the Aloe since I have an Aloe allergy. 

This product, also, did a great deal of flaking. I did not use a product along with it so I was surprised of the excessive flaking. Again, it may be my hair and scalp reacting to the Aloe...maybe

At first, I tried to use this product as a curl tamer in a wash and go but the product was too heavy for my hair. It weighed my curls done. So this product will be perfect for the curlies that has very coarse and thick curls. I know there are some curlies out there that state they need something thicker and I think this is the product for you. 

Since I couldn't wear a wash and go, I decided to do a flat twist out. Since the product stated that it tames the frizz, I was very excited to give it a try. On MY hair it did not tame the frizz. Though my twistout was still cute, I didnt experience a frizz free style. The product did offer a great hold. 


I dont think I will purchase this product again but only because the Aloe and being too heavy for MY hair. It would be a great product for though who have beautiful thick and coarse curls. I am not too good with curl types but I believe that 4c hair would LOVE it. 

Forgot to add that the same isnt pleasant at all. It smells like...I dont know but not like the perfume like smell the conditioner offered. 


The product is a typical gel-like consistency

Curl Smoothing Oil:
The first five ingredients are Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Royal Jelly Extract, Limanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, and Ethylhexl Methoxycinnamate.

What is Ethylhexl Methoxycinnamate? 

A clear liquid that is insoluble in water. Used as a sunscreen in most makeup and hair care products. 

I like this product for the Sunscreen protection. Some do not believe that sunscreen is important for the hair but sun protection is vital for ALL of our body. 

I wasnt wild about the product but I like the oils and protection it offers. It shared the same scent as the conditioner. 


Finally, Some of the products I will try again. Some I will not. I will like to find the shampoo when it is stocked in Target again.

Thanks for reading. 





No comments: